Monday, November 05, 2007

The house that Jacques built

I met a South African on Saturday night who told me about his reasons to come and live in the UK. Lack of work opportunities were the main reason before we touched on quotas in rugby and then tequila.

It seems Jacques Rudolph is doing the same. The talented 26-year-old has just signed a Beckham-esque contract with Yorkshire (last week mind, but there were no blogs). He wants to represent England, look for a house next year and probably run the Dales with Hoggie at some point. Rudolph's quotes upon signing must also rate as the longest:

“I have thoroughly enjoyed my first season with Yorkshire , both on and off the pitch. Everything about the Club is professional, supportive and focussed on getting results. The infrastructure and administration is first-rate and it has allowed me to concentrate all of my efforts on playing and enjoying my cricket, which has been very important to me. The quality of coaches, players and facilities is superb and there are exciting times ahead. I’m really pleased to have signed the new contract and look forward to seeing the Yorkshire lads again in March next year for pre-season training. We can then concentrate on winning some matches and trophies for Yorkshire . In the mean-time I am focussed on playing for Eagles in South Africa where we are looking to build on a winning start to the domestic season over here.”