Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Blood's Bajan banter

So after checking out the Kensington Oval yesterday, I came upon a music shop in Bridgetown. My spec out here is to get the World Cup colour so I went in looking for a history of Bajan music. The lads behind the counter were quick to offer help and doubly quick to back-off when I asked them for a potted history of all the Caribbean genres. But the store owner, their mum, could probably help. She came out and pondered this for a second. No, she couldn't help - but 'Blood' out the back would tell you everything.

Pulp Fiction came to mind when she said this. But Blood, aka Anderson Armstrong, is the main producer behind Square One, one of the most successful bands in Barbados; Rihanna being the island's only global star right now. Off we went to his small studio at the back of the shop. It was a long way from sheepskin carpets, bling and Cristal champagne I associated with most record producers.

You can listen to the interview at the Daily Mail podcast page, where I also spoke to Love Island's host David Gower. Square One's music is infectious and they're opening for those UB40 lads during World Cup Final week.